At both of our outstanding high schools, PiE dollars help reduce electives class sizes by offering additional choices to help students find their passion, from engineering and music support, to biotechnology, hybrid online classes, and other exciting science and arts courses. Donations to PiE also pay for additional counselors, making counseling support more accessible to all students. And PiE pays for staffing to help improve College and Career advice, helping to staff programs that help college applications go smoothly and ensure college readiness for all students. Contributions to PiE also fund Paly Link Crew and Gunn Titan 101 for incoming freshman, as well as outreach efforts for all.
For the latest news about how PiE has made an impact at our high schools, see Latest News – In Our High Schools.
High School Fund Areas of Focus:
- Innovative Learning Programs: Compelling and practical electives focused on STEAM, (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) such as computer science, graphic design, engineering and others, to spark students’ interests and build essential 21st century skills
- Student Guidance and Support: Counselors, mentors, and advisors to support social and emotional learning as well as academic guidance, to foster adult and student connections, and to help build student resilience
- College and Career Counseling: Advisors and resource programs that provide individual counseling to help all students choose among a variety of pathways to success and to plan wisely for the future
See the Specific Impact of PiE Funds at:
For the 2018-19 school year, generous donations to PiE have provided Gunn with $908,215 to pay for additional staffing that impacts every student at Gunn. These funds are used on our campus as follows:
- Innovative Learning Programs — PiE gifts help fund Gunn’s engineering track, including Introduction to Engineering and Industrial Design, and Principles of Engineering. PiE dollars also support sectionals and accompanists in music, and pay for staffing for Gunn’s busy and popular language lab. And PiE dollars are funding Gunn’s science lab tech to ensure that all students have a great experience in lab science. By supporting these electives and programs, PiE donors help Gunn offer its students many opportunities to pursue and hone their interests, and reduces the class size in all electives classes
- Supportive Guidance Staff — Donations to PiE fund a third of Gunn’s general counseling time along with a Guidance tech. The additional time and support allows all counselors to better serve Gunn students, to increase the assistance available for students in need, and to foster a greater sense of connection on campus. PiE funds also pay for Titan 101, Gunn’s revised Freshman Transition Program, to help ensure that all students get a good start at Gunn
- College and Career Counseling — PiE funds double the resources available to help students with college counseling and post-graduation pathways. PiE contributions to general counseling help make counselors available to support all students’ post-high-school plans
Your 2018-19 Gunn PiE Representatives are Sonya Bradski, Ani Gnanalingam, Marilyn Keller, Laura Wingard, Uma Ratnam-Sankar, Lily Hu, Elisa Yu, Claudia Zhang, Jennifer Shultz, Michelle Sun, Rose Gong, and Victoria Chang. Questions about PiE? Please email them at gunn AT SIGN papie.org.
For the 2018-19 school year, PiE will provide Paly with $962,041, because of generous donations from parents and community members. Funds are allocated to key programs and staff to support all Paly students, including:
- PiE dollars fund a grade-level counselor, which makes it possible for one counselor to follow your student throughout their four years, and additional guidance support staff
- PiE funds support the College and Career Center providing two of the three College Advisors who help students with college counseling and learning about post-graduation pathways
- PiE dollars are spent on enhancing electives for students, in particular on an aide for Biotechnology and instructors for electives classes including Computer Science, Biomedical Science, and Graphic Arts (thus reducing the size of all electives at Paly)
- PiE dollars help support the Teacher Advisor program, reducing the number of students seen by each teacher, as well 100% of the coordinator costs for the Teacher Advisor program for all students at Paly. Teacher Advisors help with course selection, college advice and write college recommendation letters
- Paly’s Wellness and Support initiatives are funded by PiE including the YES! program, CASSY counseling, and the Wellness Outreach program
Your 2018-19 PiE Representatives are Sudeshna Raha, Elizabeth Olson, Kate Glasson, Kristina Vetter, Julia Yu Shao, Charlene Huang, Priya Balachandran, Colleen Gormley, Kamal Ardeshna, Leena Sansguiri, and Husna Hashmi. Questions about PiE? Please email them at paly AT SIGN papie.org.