At the middle school level, PiE funding has allowed middle schools to add a variety of electives to help kids find their “spark” and to lower class sizes in all electives courses. Donations to PiE also make more counselors available to more kids, allowing counselors to stay with their student peers through all three grades to form deeper and more meaningful connections between them and their students. And specialists and mentors at all three schools help teachers improve writing and literacy instruction and leverage technology for its most effective use in teaching and learning.
For the latest news about how PiE has made an impact at our middle schools, see Latest News – In Our Middle Schools.
Middle School Fund Areas of Focus:
- Innovative Learning Programs: Compelling and practical electives focused on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math), such as computer programming, biotechnology, creative writing, stage technology, and music to spark students’ interest and build essential 21st century skills
- Student Guidance and Support: Counselors, mentors, and advisors to support social and emotional learning for all students, as well as academic guidance, character education, online safety, and next grade transition programs
- Classroom Support: Enhanced writing instruction, reading support and technology applied to curriculum with the help of specialists and mentors
See the Specific Impact of PiE Funds at:
Thanks to parent and community support for Partners in Education, Fletcher will receive $300,946 to support its students for the 2019-20 school year. These funds are used as follows:
- Additional Compelling Electives — PiE dollars allow Fletcher to offer a wider array of electives so that kids can discover subjects they love in school and help reduce elective class size. PiE helps fund staffing for electives in music, technology, creative writing, and art
- Student Guidance and Support — PiE donations provide nearly all of the support for an additional counselor to maintain one counselor per grade level. This allows Fletcher counselors to move with the students from 6th through 8th grade, providing continuity and a deeper connection with individual students. Counselors also have the time to meet weekly with teacher teams to check in with teachers about students and help maintain student wellness and connections. PiE funds also help pay for work in the area of school climate and social kindness
- Classroom Support — PiE dollars help support a Teacher on Special Assignment at Fletcher who helps ensure that technology is well-deployed throughout the school (which is increasingly important in this era of Common Core)
Your 2019-20 PiE Representatives are Greta Gize Olbrich, Audrey Gold, Jennifer Carlstrom, Heewon Park, Rachel Miller, Rashmi Mohan, Shirley Xiaoyong Wang, and Ana Eng. Questions about PiE? Please email them at fletcher AT SIGN papie.org
At Greene Middle School, the funds generously donated by parents and community members have allowed PiE to provide Greene with $442,676. The money will be spent in 2019-20 in these vital areas to impact all students:
- Additional Compelling Electives — Donations to PiE enrich the electives environment and reduce elective class sizes at Greene. PiE funds will enable sections of creative writing, music sectionals and specialists, math enrichment, choir and accompanist, biotechnology, ceramics, Greene TV (video production), and architectural drawing. PiE dollars allow Greene to offer a wide array of electives so that kids can discover subjects they love in school
- Student Guidance and Support — Gifts to PiE help fund additional counseling time, making it possible for each grade at Greene to have its own counselor who will travel all three years with the same kids, allowing the counselors to know and support every student better
- Classroom Support — PiE donors pay for two technology mentors to help all Greene teachers best use technology in their curricula, which is increasingly crucial in this era of Common Core, and also for a computer lab tech to work with teachers and students in the school’s computer lab to ensure that time in the lab is spent productively and efficiently. Without PiE donations, the school’s computer lab could not be staffed to offer this support
Your 2019-20 Greene PiE Representatives are Purvi Kapadia, Jennifer Antonow, Colleen Gormley, Colleen Backstrand, Kristina Vetter, Doug Hagan, Lisa Dusseault, and Dana Guillet. Questions? Please email them at greene AT SIGN papie.org.
At JLS, generous donations to PiE help create a more caring environment for kids and help kids find their interests in school. Specifically, during 2019-20, thanks to the support of parents and community members, gifts to PiE will provide $490,533 to JLS which will be used to support:
- Additional Compelling Electives — PiE dollars add additional electives and reduce class sizes in all electives. Because of gifts to PiE, JLS offers electives including Money Matters, Marine Biology, public speaking and creative writing, broadcast journalism, KJLS video production support, music sectionals and accompanists, and an additional section of JLS’s popular industrial technology program. PiE dollars mean that JLS can maintain or increase popular electives to help kids find their interests in middle school
- Student Guidance and Support — Donations to PiE help fund student support activities, including funding Panther Camp for all incoming students, TEAM days, and paying for vital additional counselor time. PiE dollars also supports CASSY Counseling at JLS, allowing for deeper connections of kids and swifter response to problems
- Classroom Support — PiE gifts support the universal, systematic practice for teaching writing throughout the curriculum at JLS. PiE also pays for technology-related staffing, including the school’s technology mentor for teachers and technology lead, which is increasingly crucial in this era of Common Core
Your 2019-20 PiE Representatives are Susy Kim, Sarah Cornwell, Kanwal Raza, Kirstin Sego, Jingjing Xu, Courtney Gelberman, Shirley Sun, Weiping He, and Yang Chu. Questions about PiE? Please email them at jls AT SIGN papie.org.